Friday, June 3, 2011

Birthday Blues

Ok, so G.E’s 1st birthday is around the corner and the party supply magazines are rolling in. YAAAY!! However, I must say I am not as excited about it as I once was when I bought that overly priced $20 birthday hat from a specialty shop when she was first born. I am not sure that I even want to have a party anymore. I would just like to do something special with her and Daddy.

At first I wanted this BIG TO DO party extravaganza, but as we get closer to the day and with everyone giving their .02 cents on what her first party should be like, I am hating the idea more and more. The invite list IS the biggie right now.

I have a set of girlfriends (10+) that I have kept in touch with from college over the years and often get together with for “girls night“ every few months. Before I say anything else, I will say that I have a great time with all of them when we do get together. However, on a more personal level there are a few that irritate me a little, don’t see eye to eye with on some issues and are a little too gossipy for my taste. Most of them I don’t see or talk to outside of our gatherings. Through the grape vine I did hear that many of them are wondering what’s going on for the big day. Being in this birthday blues phase (as I hope its just a phase) has me considering not inviting a few of “the girls” most of which are also “childless”. I don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings or create drama, but at this point I want to share G.E’s 1st birthday with very close family and friends. Not with girlfriends that I or G.E for that matter only see a few times a year . I have even tried talking to G.E’s Godmother (one of “the girls”) about this. She thought the people I tentatively held off the invite list would be quite offended since they are regular guests of the “gatherings“ and did attend the baby shower. (Does that mean I owe them an invite?) I am really struggling with this.

Should I invite “the group” to not upset anyone or have the intimate 1st Birthday party I want? Am I making a big deal out of this? HELLPP!!!

2 comments:

  1. It's perfectly acceptable to just have a family party. Just tell your friends so they know why they aren't included. If anyone is offended then they probably aren't that good of a friend anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa! For a moment there I was thinking something was wrong with my thought process.

    ReplyDelete